Thursday, December 24, 2020

When Stars Align

 This pattern is called Starstruck! by Deonn Stott. 
I have to say, this quilt has the Clair seal of approval!
I do wish that it had one more dark red star at the bottom. That would have made it perfect-o.


 In the center of each star is a fabric called Toile. Claudia Johnson give it to me and I loved it right away. I had never even heard of Toile and I'm still not sure that I'm saying it right when I speak it out loud. I knew, though, when Claudia gave it to me that it was going to make something beautiful. So when I stumbled across Starstruck! I knew that was the quilt where this fabric was going to spend the rest of it's life.


 When I began piecing this quilt I thought every star would be the exact same, with this (above) red for the  spears, the Toile center and varying creams. I quickly came to realize I was way off and I didn't have nearly enough of any red fabric in all of my sewing room to make this an easy task. And of course I found this out three stars into every red(because I thought the same thing of every red). So, I would then pick a new red, thinking it was enough to make the rest of the stars and then find out I didn't have nearly enough of that fabric either. I would move on to a new red and cream fabrics and hope they would match the others not sure if they did. I honestly couldn't tell. It was a very stressful process for me. Though, I did have enough of the Toile for all the centers and enough of the blue for the little stars. That was a life saver to me, because it meant I could feel good that at least there would be some consistency somewhere. 


My dear friend Brenda Olsen helped me make a lot of these blocks. She really saved me and this quilt wouldn't have been completed if it wasn't for her selfless act of love for me. Really. I couldn't have done this without her. I am ever so grateful for and indebted to her and her dear friendship!


 The ever lovely Lainey quilted and bound this quilt. And she also made the label for me. 


 This backing was generously given to me by dear Claudia Johnson. I was so grateful to have it, too, because this quit is a queen. The second queen I have ever made. Queen backs are killers.






 I love these baskets. I buy them from the Spirit Goat and love that they smell like soap! It the best part. Sometimes I don't love the color combos, but I chose this one because I felt okay about it. I gifted this quilt to a lady named Paula. I don't know her very well and only have spoken with her a few times, though I have noticed and admire her. I always have enjoyed her comments in church. They are insightful and smart. She is good mom. I love to watch good moms mother! Their quiet, good example is a pillar to me. 
 Paula is a true artist. And in a way, that draws me to her because my dad was and artist by occupation. His art meant so much to him. But he was never successful so his art was also a source of sadness for him.  
 I know that Heavenly Father wanted me to make this quilt for Paula. It was a clear prompting. All the things I needed to make it were easily provided for me, from the supplies I needed down to having the help I needed to accomplish it before Christmas. Whenever I am prompted to serve someone in this capacity, it testifies to me of how much Heavenly Father loves and cares for his children, particularly that child. It is so moving and humbling to me that He would ask me to help someone feel of His love through little quilt I had a hand in making. To me, this is special and I hold it dear.

No comments:

Post a Comment